Jonathan J. Guss
Jonathan J. Guss has been an associate attorney with the firm since 2017 with a practice covering both civil and criminal matters. He is licensed to practice law in New Mexico and California.
Jon graduated from the University of California, Berkeley School of Law in 2013, where he received an American Jurisprudence Award for Federal Indian Law. He published the comment “Gaming Sovereignty? A Plea For Protecting Worker’s Rights While Preserving Tribal Sovereignty” in the California Law Review and was the Book Review Editor for the Berkeley Journal of Gender, Law & Justice.
Jon began his legal career as a litigation associate at Mayer Brown LLP in Palo Alto, California. His practice at Mayer Brown was spread across diverse areas of civil litigation, including contract law, tort law, antitrust law, and administrative law. He also engaged in extensive pro bono work, serving as a lead attorney on several immigration matters.
In 2015, Jon came to New Mexico to work as a law clerk for the Honorable Edward L. Chávez of the New Mexico Supreme Court. However, his first experience with New Mexico was during law school when he spent a summer working on the Navajo Nation at the Shiprock office of DNA-People’s Legal Services.
Prior to law school, Jon lived in a variety of places, including Košice, Slovakia where he taught language and culture courses at a secondary school as a U.S. Fulbright Fellow. He graduated with High Distinction and Honors from Penn State University. An avid hiker, he looks forward to exploring the array of outdoor opportunities that New Mexico offers.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Rights
- Personal Injury
- Criminal Law
- New Mexico
- University of California at Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, Berkeley, California - 2013
- Honors: American Jurisprudence Award, Federal Indian Law
- Honors: Gaming Sovereignty? A Plea For Protecting Worker’s Rights While Preserving Tribal Sovereignty, California Law Review
- Law Journal: Berkeley Journal of Gender, Law & Justice, Book Review Editor
- Penn State University
- Honors: With High Honors
- Honors: With High Distinction
Past Employment Positions
- Mayer Brown LLP, Palo Alto, California, Litigation Associate
- Honorable Edward L. Chávez, New Mexico Supreme Court, Law Clerk, 2015 - Present
- DNA-People’s Legal Services