Helping People Injured On Government Property Or By Government Workers

Tort law is civil in nature and is designed to hold negligent parties accountable for the harm they have inflicted on others, while providing compensation to injured victims. When the negligent actor is a private citizen or a privately-owned business, these types of cases are relatively straightforward. However, things become increasingly complex when a person sustains an injury on government property or is injured by a government employee. The government is immune to many claims that one could bring against a private actor.

At the law firm of Garcia Ives Nowara in Albuquerque, our attorneys handle injury claims made against both the state and federal governments. To learn more about your options, call us at 505-273-3064 to schedule a free initial consultation.

State Government Claims

Personal injury claims against state government agencies or employees are governed by the New Mexico Tort Claims Act. People may file a lawsuit for injuries stemming from a wide range of accidents, including:

It is important to keep in mind that there is a short window of time during which you can file a claim. It is important to seek legal counsel as soon as possible following an accident.

Federal Government Claims

Claims against the federal government are governed by the Federal Tort Claims Act of 1946. In addition to limiting the causes of action against federal agencies, these types of claims differ from other civil personal injury claims in that they must be tried in federal court, before a federal judge, without a jury. This procedure is known as a bench trial.

It is important to seek help from an attorney who is experienced with the federal court system and who understands the processes involved in a bench trial. Our lawyers have extensive experience handling federal cases and are prepared to put their skills to work on your behalf.

Contact Us To Learn More

In all cases against government actors, timing is crucial. Seek legal advice as soon as you can following an accident. Call us at 505-273-3064 for a free initial consultation. You may also contact us online.